Household income in Georgian Asset Declarations

Geplaatst op 24-12-2013 door Maarten Marx | parliament, TI | tags: | comment image Geen reacties »

The Georgian Asset Declarations are a great source of open government data and a fantastic example of openness. Unfortunately they are not available in easily machine readable format, but only in PDF form. Still, with some work one can do nice analysis on them.
At TI Georgia, the income of public officials is an item of interest. In this post we report on our work in which we calculated the total household income of each public official.

In fact we calculated how much each member of the household contributes, expressed as a percentage, to the total household income. We calculate the income based on the questions about “entrepeneurial activity” and “paid work”. See the Asset Declaration of Kakhaber Chikhradze as an example.

Kakhaber Chikhradze is a counterexample to the idea that Georgian man are macho: he works at the Ministry of Defense and earns a mere 6.300 GEL. His mother and wife earn 144K and 70K USD, respectively. Even his son earns more with 16K USD. Also he is the only one in the household without a car.

All data available

The data is available in CSV, XML and HTML format at http://data.politicalmashup.nl/TIgeorgia/FamilyIncome.zip.
Raw data and Xquery scripts are available on request.

An example of the data format in HTML form is given below. This member of the Georgian Parliament contributed only 1% to the household income. His 22 year old son was good for the other 99% (over 5 million GEL).

First Name Last Name Family Role Gender Age % Household Income Income Car
Income of the household of კობა ნაყოფია declared at 2012-05-24 (Source (geo))
(Source (eng)).
ნიკოლოზი ნაყოფია შვილი M 22 99 5.0451145E6 GEL Mercedes Benz C 6.3 AMG, 2008, #007; Mercedes Benz G55 AMG, 2009, #NXN777; Mercedes Benz C 350, 2008, rus 030 199
კობა ნაყოფია საჯარო თანამდებობის პირის M 43 1 49206.88 GEL Mercedes Benz GL 500, 2010, #ELG007; ROLLS-ROYCE GHOST, 2011, #BATUMI
ლიანა ქარდავა დედა F 72 0 0 GEL
ელგა სოფია მეუღლე F 43 0 0 GEL Mercedec benz S63AMG, 2008, #S63AMG; Mercedes Benz SLK 350, 2011, #E
ნატალია ნაყოფია შვილი M 15 0 0 GEL

Calculation

We used income stated in GEL and USD and converted all amounts to GEL using an exchange rate of 1.65 GEL for 1 USD Dollar.
For the public official and each of the family members mentioned in the question “Data about family members (spouse, children, other persons)” we calculated their income described in the tables for the questions “Have you or your family members undertaken any type of entrepreneurial activity?” and “Have you or your family members undertaken any type of paid work in Georgia or abroad, except for working in an enterprise?”.
The cars are taken from the question “Do you or your family members own any movable property (except for cash, securities, bank deposits, etc.) valued at more than 10,000 GEL (6,100 USD approximately)?”.

Statistics

The data is based on 10.726 Asset Declarations downloaded in November 2013.
We show a number of histograms based on this data.

Fractions

Number of Asset Declarations in which the income of the public official who filed the declaration is a fraction of the total household income between N and N+1 (eg there are 197 declarations in which the income of the public official constitutes between 0 and 10 procent of the household income).


#Fraction,Count
0,197 
10,68 
20,115 
30,220 
40,296 
50,558 
60,810 
70,1066 
80,1293 
90,999 
100,5104 

Total household income

Number of Asset Declarations in which the total household income is at least N but not more than N+1 (e.g. there are 2795 declarations with an income between 10.000 and 25.000 GEL).

# Total household income, count
0,650 
10000,2795 
25000,4124 
50000,1813 
75000,725 
100000,389 
150000,101 
200000,51 
250000,49 
500000,10 
1000000,11 
2000000,5 
5000000,2 
10000000,1 

Income of at least one member

Number of Asset Declarations in which at least one member of the household earns at least the given amount of money.

#Income, count
0,10726 
10000,9875 
25000,6461 
50000,2213 
75000,840 
100000,351 
150000,155 
200000,98 
250000,60 
500000,27 
1000000,18 
2000000,8 
5000000,3 
10000000,1 

Income of at least one member which is not the Public Official

Same as the previous histogram, except that we only count income from the family members, not from the public official.

0,10180 
10000,2467 
25000,752 
50000,271 
75000,133 
100000,65 
150000,34 
200000,18 
250000,12 
500000,6 
1000000,5 
2000000,3 
5000000,1 
10000000,0 

Reageer

Je moet ingelogd zijn om te kunnen reageren.